How To Prepare For Extreme Heat & Hot Weather
Extreme heat & hot weather can be dangerous and
life-threatening if you don't take the proper precautions.
Knowing how to prepare and taking all
the right precautions to protect yourself and you loved ones can
give you peace of mind.
Hot Weather Dangers
- Burning of the skin
- Heat stroke
Equipment & Supplies
Buy these items well before the hot weather arrives.
- Emergency power generator (Emergency
- Survival kit/ bug out bags (Executive 72-hour Kit with Solar Upgrade)
- Food (MRE's)
- Water (Water Filters, Purifiers and Storage)
- Emergency lights (Emergency Lighting)
- Emergency radio (Emergency Radios)
- Two large coolers: One for drinks & one for food
- Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) for your
Make, stock up or verify the fully stocked status of each of your
- Car back pack, car first aid kit (first
), auto tool kit (tool
- Emergency evacuation backpack
- Food emergency kit
- Dog/pet emergency kit
- Hurricane emergency Kit - (72-hour Survival Kits) Make sure your
extreme heat & hot weather kit includes:
Flashlights & extra bulbs, Battery-operated radio, Battery-operated
lanterns, Batteries (in different sizes!), Matches, First aid kit, Duct
tape, Rain gear,
Clock (wind-up or battery-powered), Plastic garbage bags, Fire
extinguisher, Scissors, Can Opener, Clean clothes, Extra blankets, Heavy
Make a weather plan.
Have a home inspection performed on you
house to identify weakness and deficiencies in your house's
ability to protect you from the heat.
Investigate whether to replace your
doors and windows and
doors to better insulate your house.
Find out how to keep food safe during and after
hot weather conditions.
Transportation may be disrupted after an
extreme heat & hot weather, keep
emergency supplies (food, liquids, comfortable shoes) at
work, in your car and at home.
Identify your closest fire and police stations and
emergency medical facility.
Coordinate your emergency extreme
heat & hot weather plans with your
TAKE Red Cross First Aid and CPR Training Course.
Stay aware of upcoming temperature
Prepare Your House
Upgrade the insulation of your
Weather-strip all doors and windows
or inspect as required.
Insulate around window air
Inspect air conditioning ducts for
leaks or needed repair.
Make and install temporary window
reflectors for use between the windows and drapes. Aluminum
foil-covered cardboard works well to reflect heat back
Install appropriate window coverings
such as drapes, shades, awnings, or louvers.
Install storm windows.
- Inspect your roof for integrity and loose shingles. Repair as
- Install an emergency power generator. Test it to make sure it works.
Get plenty of fuel.
- Perform any needed weatherproofing or repairs to home, yard area and
Prepare Your Car
- Perform maintenance on your car to make sure it's
"ready to go" in case you have to evacuate. Check tire
pressure, oil level, radiator level, washer level.
Verify car running condition.
- Fill your tank up with gas.
- Get spare gas cans and fill them up in case of gas
shortage after the extreme heat & hot weather.
- Park your car in the garage, sheltered location or
the most protected and highest elevated ground possible.
- Secure all of your cars important paperwork to
- Verify car contents. Fully equip your car. See
What Should I Keep In My Car?
- Make sure your car insurance is up to date and in
Before It Gets Hot
- Double check your emergency kits and supplies (food, water, flashlights, weather
radio, batteries, etc.)
- Identify battery powered appliances and tools and
stock up on all applicable batteries. Fully charge all
chargeable batteries (Solar Battery Charger)
- Get extra cash. Get small bills, ones, 5's, 10's,
20's and 50's at the bank.
- Plan for your pets.
- Monitor emergency broadcasts.
- Fill all bottles, bathtubs and containers with water. This is a neat
bathtub water storage device.. waterBOB Emergency Drinking Water Storage.
- Verify Clorox in house.
- Wash all clothing and sheets.
- Verify pet medications, if applicable.
- Call family and friends to notify of intentions.
- Verify supply of tape/tapes
- Verify supply of tarps and roofing nails for
repairs after the extreme heat & hot weather.
- Make/buy ice. Stock your freezer and coolers.
- Extra supply of medicines for each family member
During The Extreme Heat
- Listen to the radio or TV for weather updates.
- Stay inside as much as possible.
- Stay out of the sunshine as much as possible.
- Limit your activities in hot weather. Avoid strenuous work. If you
have to work outside drink plenty of water and use the buddy system.
- Uses fans whenever possible.
- Drink plenty of water; even if you do not feel thirsty.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks.
- Limit intake of alcoholic beverages.
- Dress appropriately for hot weather.
- Check on your animals frequently.